FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading this book. Absolutely amazing! I loved it.

From the start, it is a little difficult to understand because Alex speaks in Nadsat, a language Burgess created drawing heavily from Russian influence as well as shortened English slang. Once you pick up on the patterns of speech, it is much easier to understand what is going on. A great deal can be deciphered through context.

The plot of this book was phenomenal. A loved the concept of a clockwork orange and the contemplations of good and evil as well as how these evolve through maturity and age.

This edition included the seventh chapter of Part Three of the novel, which I feel had a more fulfilling ending than where the American edition was originally cut. I think this last chapter made the journey through the novel worth it, whereas ending after the sixth chapter felt like a cheap cliffhanger.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend to those interested in the philosophy of good and evil.