FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

Poxland - Bryan Cassiday

I won an audiobook of this on LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review.

Overall, I thought it was alright. There were a lot of parts that were very slow. For a novel dealing the zombies and spies, it was pretty slow-paced and repetitive. The narration was in third-person and switched between various characters, which had an interesting effect, but was very redundant at times. It felt like the narrator was constantly reminding the reader about what was going on with each character when it wasn't necessary.

I did really like some of Cassiday's descriptions. He has a way with creating graphic effects with his words. I think it works especially well in a novel about something as horrifying and grotesque as a zombie apocalypse.

The thing I hated most about this book were the female characters. There were two or three females that popped up in the book. The two with the biggest roles were annoyingly wimpy and sentimental. One character never even got described outside of her scandalous profession or her grief over her sister's death. The narration regarding the female characters was also extremely objectifying and sexualized. At one point, I honestly almost completely gave up on this book after one of the descriptions, which was disgustingly sexualized to the point of making me feel extremely uncomfortable. Also, based on the one woman's profession, she was often treated less-than-human by the other characters, without much commentary or backlash against the treatment.

For the most part, this was a basic zombie story. It didn't really add anything new to the popular genre. I didn't feel very engaged with the plot throughout the story and didn't find myself actively trying to figure out what was going on. By the end, the story line got a little more interesting as plot points were revealed, but then the story ended with a cliffhanger that didn't really make me want to read the next book either. The characters were pretty two-dimensional and not well developed. Overall, I think "okay" describes this novel pretty fairly.