FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

Nimona -  Noelle Stevenson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

This book had so much going for it, I'm surprised that I didn't like it more. It's not that I didn't like it, but I felt pretty apathetic toward it most of the time.

For starters, being named "Nimona", I figured she was the main character, but it really focused more on Ballister Blackheart. I liked him as a character, but I was expecting to learn more about Nimona ("Yeah, that's cool, Blackheart, but what about Nimona?"). It wasn't a bad set up, I just wasn't prepared for it. This mostly focuses on Blackheart with Nimona coming in and creating complete chaos once in a while.

Nimona is definitely a very funny character. She's so random and hilarious. However, I would have liked to actually know her backstory. There are a few theories discussed in the book, but you never really know who she is, which is a bit of a letdown. This may have been part of why I became apathetic after a while. I couldn't connect with Nimona, because I had no idea who she really was. Her character felt flat without a backstory.

I also really didn't like the artwork. It was too simple and dull. None of the pictures really stand out. The coloration all kind of blends together. Even during the fighting scenes, I just didn't feel engaged in the art. I wasn't drawn in. I saw what happened, then moved on to the next page. It didn't make me want to linger on each frame like say, Lumberjanes.

I did really enjoy the science fiction-fantasy mashup. On one page a knight is watching the news on a screen and on another medieval guards come in and use some weird taser-spear. It was cool the way magic works with science in the book.

Lord Blackheart's relationship with Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin was also insanely frustrating. What could have been an adorable and tragic love story turned into this weird guessing game of Do They Like-Like Each Other or Are They Just Really Good Friends? It drove me nuts.

Overall, the story was interesting. It's a little chaotic at times, because it started out as a webcomic, but I enjoyed it for the most part. I liked the story, but the characters felt flat and underdeveloped. It was interesting, but not great.