FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

FatherCraneMadeMeDoIt

School Board - Mike Freedman

I received a copy of this book from Librarything in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very tough book for me to rate, because while it was well-written and had an interesting story, there were still a few faults that disengaged me and for the most part I just could not get into it.

First, Tucker Davis is one of the most annoying and obnoxious characters I've ever encountered. He's more than just flawed; I can't think of any redeeming qualities about him. He's hypocritical, ignorant, ironically self-centered, and completely clueless. For someone wanting to help people, he sure doesn't treat his friends and family very well by manipulating them, using them, and not even considering their advice. This book was difficult to read, because I just could not stand the main character.

Secondly, I'm not really into politics and that was the only thing driving the story. That's mostly my fault for picking a book about politics. However, as a book advertised as "a roaring comic allegory", I was expecting to laugh a little, or even crack a smile. But the only this this book did for me was confirm my dislike of politics. Despite the interesting concept, the text got very boring very quickly. The whole thing seemed to be really stretched out. The story felt slow the first three quarters of the book. While the ending was predictable, I could not help but be satisfied solely because the last page marked the end of my time with Tuck Davis.